Monday 28 March 2016

STEPHAN'S SIX - LEIGHTON DENNY


Leighton Denny is far more than just the man behind the worldwide hit that shares his name. Originally a forklift truck driver in Bradford, you read that correctly, he quickly became one of the UK’s leading nail and beauty experts, also releasing a suncare and lip colour range. In 2014 Leighton was awarded the MBE for his achievements within the industry, published his autobiography entitled How I Nailed It, and launched his first fragrance called LIGHT & DARK. A busy man, 2015 saw two more fragrances added to his collection, but he still found time to answer "Stephan's Six".

What is the first smell that you can remember?
Like most, my love for fragrance goes all the way back to my childhood. The first smell that I can remember is mandarine. I always loved the scent of oranges, and still do today!

What perfume do you remember your mum or dad wearing?
My mother and my sister had the most beautiful collection of perfumes, so I literally grew up surrounded by amazing scents, but it was always Elizabeth Taylor's White Diamonds for my mum and Anaïs Anaïs for my sister. My dad was, has always been, and will probably remain an Old Spice sort of guy!

What was the perfume of your twenties?
It has to be Xeryus by Givenchy. I loved the dark blue/grey, almost Garnet like, art deco style bottle and it's the scent that took me from being a teen to becoming a man. It is a wonderful woody fragrance that makes me think of walking through the forest after a rainstorm. It's really hard to find these days so I search all the vintage fragrance sales to try and find a bottle!

What was your biggest perfume mistake?
I’d say that my biggest mistake is that I didn’t create my own fragrance range sooner. It was something I'd wanted to do from the very beginning. I put a post on Facebook and Twitter asking my customers what they’d like me to create next, and they mostly asked for fragrance. I was really pleased, and you know what that say, “Better late than never!” I’m currently working on a new ‘never-seen-before’ fragrance product, so stay tuned!

You can only choose one perfume, what would it be?
Just one? That's like asking me who is my favourite child!!! My LIGHT & DARK Desire is intriguing on its own, but becomes even more compelling when you create your own signature scent by layering with one of the other fragrances from the collection. I like to call it fragrance cocktailing. Sorry, I couldn’t choose ‘just one’.

What perfume should I try?
It would have to be LIGHT & DARK Lively. I wanted to create something unisex and sharable with a fresh edge, but which still had a sexy blend. It had to be a scent that women would love and men would adore. I think I’ve cracked it with Lively. I call this one my any-time scent!

All of Leighton's products, including his autobiography can be found at LD-Boutique.com, and with more releases planned for 2016 it might be worth keeping an eye on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment