Monday 11 January 2016

STEPHAN'S SIX - LIZ MOORES


Liz Moores founded Papillon Perfumery in 2011, and this self trained perfumer has created quite a stir with a collection of four fragrances which combine strength, lust, femininity, masculinity and euphoria. So, with a mischievous glint in her eye, what would she make of "Stephan's Six"?

What is the first smell that you can remember?
It was collecting Marigold petals from a neighbours front garden when I really shouldn't have been. I would have been four years old and remember really disliking the smell and not understanding why they didn't smell like regular flowers. The smell of them today takes me straight back to that moment, including the feeling of doing something very naughty. I still can't stand the smell of marigolds because to me they smell like guilt.

What perfume do you remember your mum or dad wearing?
My mother wore Rive Gauche but I remember my father buying her a bottle of Joy Extrait when he'd been on his travels. My father always smelled of Givenchy Gentleman, cigarettes and Teachers whiskey. These smells really remind me of the seventies when my brother and I would sit at the top of the stairs while my parents partied with their friends. The combined smell of cigarette and cigar smoke mingled with different perfumes and laughter was intoxicating. I remember once stroking a guest's fur coat and the smell and feel of it beneath my fingers was the most beautiful thing. One of my favourite smells would have to be the remnants of perfume on a fur coat.

What was the perfume of your twenties?
In my twenties I wore Oscar by Oscar de la Renta and Samsara. I've always liked big powerhouse perfumes. My daughter was born when I was in my early twenties and throughout my pregnancy I wore diluted jasmine oil, so the smell always reminds me of my early days as a new mummy. I couldn't wear the perfumes again as they remind me of the struggle being a single mother, but the smell of jasmine oil is comforting to me, in fact I called my daughter Jasmine.

What was your biggest perfume mistake?
I'm not very good at dabbing perfume so when I wear a fragrance in extrait form I tend to tip the bottle and spread the juice over various body parts. Do not attempt to do this naked as liquid has a habit of finding its way into unfortunate places. This was my biggest perfume mistake and not one I would like to repeat. A certain intimate part of me was on fire for a few hours!

You can only choose one perfume, what would it be?
Anubis, because it was the first perfume I made and without it Papillon would never have existed. I think of Anubis as my lucky talisman and it's very special to me. It is worn by some of those closest to me and the smell always reminds me of the people I love.

What perfume should I try?
I would recommend you try Tobacco Rose. When I created this perfume I wanted to challenge and hopefully change people's perception of rose fragrances, which sadly are associated with hand soap or old ladies. Also, wear what YOU like. If a fragrance is marketed as a 'ladies' fragrance who says that a man can't wear it? A man smelling of roses is a glorious thing!

For full details of Liz Moore's extraordinary perfumes you can visit the Papillon website at papillonperfumery.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. A typical Liz interview :) I'm still chuckling at the biggest perfume mistake, glad that I have already eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barry, I'm glad that you enjoyed the interview as much as we did. Best, Stephan

      Delete